Friday, July 20, 2018

The Lagoon of Seven Colours

Bacalar!  What a place.  It had been on my list of places to go but decided to skip it when I started traveling with Raph but because I extended my trip I was able to go and I am so glad I did.

The bus ride from Tulum was only 3 hours. I headed there literally right after my PADI dives. 

I went to the ADO (bus) station to check when the buses were, I literally had time to go back to the hostel grab my stuff and leave.   I decided to walk - with all my stuff - as it was only a ten minute walk but it was hot as fuck!!!  I was in my awesome bright pink flamingo shorts and a sports bra.  I was drenched like I had just gotten out of the shower... I looked like a homeless person...I'm surprised they let me on the bus lol.

One thing I love about Mexico is the random food.  We had a stop for ten minutes and these little women were standing there with trays of some sort of tacos for 12 pesos each... like maybe 0.75 cents...yummy!!!  I love Mexico and it's food.

The hostel was awesome.  My bed looked out onto the lagoon, though it was a walkout door and was quite loud at night.  Though these days I am sleeping through everything so it really wasn't too bad.

My first day I didn't really do anything, I had to work the next morning so I basically chilled and enjoyed the view.

The next day after I finished teaching I decided to go on a tour the hostel was offering.  I thought you can stay here and be lazy or you can go be social and meet people.  We took a bus ride for about 20 minutes to another part of the lagoon - 7 colours as in 7 shades of blue - we got out and walked
around a little grassed area.  We stopped at a spot with covered huts on the grassy ground and a ladder into the beautiful lagoon where you could see the different shades of blue.  We had music, snacks and drinks.  We literally hung out in the water all day drinking our drinks and talking and just enjoying the clear blue water.  It reminded me of the water in Isla Mujeres.   One of the hostel workers brought a blowup paddle board so just before we were supposed to leave we went for a little paddle tour and the bus was going to pick us up on the other side.

It was beautiful.  The water always so clear you can see the bottom...the minerals in it are what make it so blue.  I was sitting on the front of the board while he stood up paddling.  "Do you sing?" he asked.  "No.  But you should sing for me.  That way it's more like the gondola ride in Italy." So he did. 

We stopped at this hole that literally looked like a shark!  "My personal hot tub." He said.  Yup, where he likes to take all the girls...not gonna happen be we hung out there for a bit and enjoyed being fish in a shark and then had to head out to meet the bus.  Along this part of the lagoon it got long and along the left side there were steps getting out and there were heaps of people.  It was a private club...you could eat drink and enjoy the lagoon... so awesome! What a great chill day.

When we got back to the hostel I took a jump off the dock and went for a short swim in the lagoon.  Honestly, it felt so good to be in fresh water,  the water that I love so much back home.  It is the best feeling in the world.  As I swam back I started talking to these other two girls in the water, next thing you know I am sitting on the dock with a bunch of people enjoying the view, the air, the water and the vibe.  This is how I met Chelsea.  A Canadian who is super chill but full of love and energy.  She traveled India so right away we connected - for those of you that don't know I am going to India in a couple of months which is why I have to go home.   

We had drinks, then we went for dinner with a group from the hostel and when we for dinner.  Then I literally fell asleep in my clothes as soon as we got back.

The next day Ana got to the hostel around 1pm.  We had our girl talk and really just hung out for the day but we booked a sunset boat tour.  The problem was, I felt a sore throat coming on so I wasn't feeling great.  When I had checked in there was a German girl in the bunk above me who was really sick...so who knows if I caught what she had.   Plus I had booked my dives for Friday and needed to be well.

The sunset tour was really nice the first stop was Cenote Negro, it is inside the lagoon.  There are six or seven of them - I can't remember - and they constantly pump water into the lagoon.  If they stopped the lagoon would disappear.   It was a great spot, the water a perfect temperature the shore lined with lush green trees and docked boats. 

The second stop - which I really loved - was Cocolito.  This also had a cenote however everyone was super interested in the swings and hammocks in the water, no one even swam in the cenote.  There were these cool rock like formations in the water that are some of  or are the oldest living organisms on earth.  They pump out more oxygen then 7 hectares of trees and are full of minerals...pretty cool I would say. 

Ana and I took the photo op on the swings and even got the guys to help boost us up as they were really high.  It was so great!  Again, another little paradise in Mexico that I left a piece of myself in ... it just gets harder and harder to book my flight. 

Our last stop was at Las Canales del Pirates - I think.  This is where the pirates would come into the canal to steal a tree that could be used for the ink colour - I think I have that right.  There was a man made structure to look like a pirate ship that you could jump off of and swim around and some really nice wall art.  We went with the guide to a spot where there is this special mud.  If you rub all the mud on your skin and let it dry it is supposed to be great for your skin...but man did it stink.  It was like rotten eggs and I gagged a bit when I put it on my face.  Ughh, it was awful I wanted to vomit, but after a minute the smell went away.   I don't know if my skin is any better or softer though, but I guess it's all about the experience.

Sebastian had shown up to see Ana so they went for a late dinner and I went to bed.  I was exhausted, not feeling well and had to work in the morning.

That pretty much covers it.   It was a great two days and I am so happy I got to Bacalar.  I was wondering if going there I would feel more like I was at home than Mexico but I still felt like I was in Mexico and could've stayed longer....I wanted to, but I seriously have to come home and not extend anymore.   It was also really great to get some time just me and Ana...we have to say goodbye today and I am not looking forward to it.  We have become really close and I consider her my sister.  She is going to be a tough goodbye.

So now I must say goodbye as I have to leave for my dives in 20 minutes.  I went to the hospital in Bacalar for a prescription yesterday so Im feeling a bit better.

To the sea and turtles I must go.



                                                            - Mi Vida Hermosa -

No comments:

Post a Comment