Thursday, July 12, 2018

Cenote's and Inspiration to Dive.



Tulum has been great and I have been busy, pretty much since I arrived here.  I was meeting up with a friend for a night and we played drinking games and got drunk...something I haven’t done in awhile...I was pretty good at not drinking after my Birthday lol. This means, Saturday was a write off and we just chilled by the pool but I ended up befriended two of my dorm mates and we planned to do a day trip on Sunday (the next day).

We were going to two Cenotes and the Tulum ruins.  We rented bikes from the hostel and rode to the first Cenote in 10 minutes.

Calavera.


This one was on my bucket list.  I had seen it on Instagram and looked it up and put it on my list of things to see in Tulum.  It was a great way to start the day.  It was a smaller one but really pretty and refreshing though the fish were hungry and we got nibbled on. There were holes that we could jump through into the water...the boy took that opportunity I just took video of it.  Water and heights aren’t my thing and together they are more challenging for me.

The Grand Cenote

This was beautiful  but very touristy.  We went in on the less busier side and swam through a covered but it got a little cold as we were shaded so we went to the other side.  There were bats up above  and some birds.  One part of the cavern roof came low and the bats were moving...”vamos.”  I said to the guys, I wanted out of there quickly and out of the bat attack zone,  I am not a fan.
When we got to the other side, there was a rope going into a covered area that was pretty dark and I wasn’t sure about going into it but I followed the guys in. 
They had snorkels  and masks so they were looking around underwater. “Here,” said Marc.  “Try with my mask.”
“HOLY FUCK.”  I said bringing my head back up.  I was totally not expecting what I saw.  There   and areas that lit up with the sun.  It was so beautiful and made for some great fun and photo ops.  We were there about two hours and even got to swim with some turtles.
were stalactites
Next we went for lunch as we had had a full morning of swimming in Cenotes and still had our visit to the Tulum ruins ahead of us.

Tulum Ruins.

These were impressive!  The area in which they are is massive and it looks like it’s own paradise, it almost has a jungle feel to it.  Every which way you look you can see the buildings or tops of them peeking up through the palm trees in the distance.  We ended up running into Raphael so he joined us and we walked down to the beach area.  If it hadn’t of been covered in seaweed it would’ve been much better but the different colours of the seaweed from a yellowy orange to a black red gave it an interesting look. 
We maybe were there an hour –could’ve  been less – and decided to leave as we were exhausted  from our full day.  The heat and riding a bike are really not my favourite things in the world together and my butt was sore as they are not the greatest bikes in the world but It was a great day!!!
The next day Raphael and I planned to go to Dos Ojos - a very well known cenote – and Marc and James were goint to Chichen Itza.
This time we had to take a collective, this great bus system – minivan system – that pretty much takes you were you need to go – even to Cancun – for super cheap. It makes traveling around easy and affordable.

Dos Ojos


To be honest I wasn’t that impressed with Dos Ojos.  It is two cenotes – dos ojos meaning two eyes – and they are both kind of covered and with lack of sunshine using a mask and snorkel really wasn’t as exciting as the Grand Cenote.  Plus, it is not cheap to go,  they charge a lot of money so I was disappointed as I had been told this was the best one.  Raphael liked it but I told him the underwater view was much better at the Grand Cenote.
I was already not impressed by the amount of money it cost us...considering once you are in and have paid you have to pay for transportation as the cenote is still 3km away and the guy scammed us.
He said it’s a rate of 100 pesos so the more people we have the cheaper it becomes for us.  So Raphael found two more people.  We were then told if we find more than four people he was still going to charge us 25 pesos per person.  I looked at him and said “you really like to scam people don’t you?”  “it’s business.” He replied. “You’re just an asshole,” was my response and Raphael laughed.
“Okay, let’s get a guided snorkel tour.” I said, I didn’t want a disappointing day so I decided to give in.
Then, it all changed.
It was us and a really nice young Italian couple and we had a great time.  It was amazing. The underwater caverns, the stalagtites and stalagmites.  We could sometimes see the divers with their flash lights.  I had only seen things like this on Planet Earth with David Attenborough. 
I of course was the only one wearing a life jacket but I was worked about getting tired, though sometimes I took it off to swim a bit lower and use my light to look at the caverns.
“Okay,” said our guide. “Now into the bat cave.”  “Oh perfect! I love bats!” I said sarcastically.
We had to swim in a line and go through very narrow hangings of stalagtites.  You have to be careful not to really touch them or bang your head so you have to look in the water and look above you.  However when you look in the water it was completely different.  It seemed narrow and small above us but was deep and beautiful below us  with more caverns.  Then we entered the bat cave and I was not scared at all...in fact, I found it very peaceful.  The bats were tiny and just sleeping upside down.  You could see guano in some spots, and sometimes they would fly around but they never came close to us.  The cavern was big with a high ceiling but again underneath us was a different world.  We stayed in there for a bit admiring the world of the caves.  Then we followed our guide around the outskirts of the cave.  He stopped under some smaller stalactite formations.  You could see the moisture droplets at the tip of the limestone which over time will form the stalactites.  This is something I have only seen in my favourite episode of Planet Earth – Caves.  It was amazing to see this first hand and I was quite excited.

When I looked down and saw the divers I really wanted to be down there with them and enter into the caverns.
When we returned from our dive I asked if I had to be certified to do the dive and I was told yes.  There was a girl there and she said, you can get certified with Koox (pronounced Koosh) in three days and then do a dive.  Tell them Ayla sent you.  I was so inspired but my snorkel I felt I had to do this.  It has been on my bucket list for 8 years.  It was now or never.
When we returned I located Koox in my map app.  It was an 8 minute walk from the hostel.  I signed up to get my PADI certification then and there.
Now when doing your PADI training your confined dives are usually done in a pool however, my confined dives are in a cenote.
I was nervous my first day..it’s a lot to take in.  However, no one else signed up so it has just been me and my guide Justine who is amazing!!!  She has been so great and really patient with me as I freaked out a little my first dive.  It took me three times to get down but I finally did it.  The cenote didn’t look like much from up top but it was really awesome below.  You can see the roots of the trees coming through the overhang of the rock which looks like flat ground when you are above.  There were huge fish bigger than my cat and lots of little fish, I even saw a crab on my second dive.
My first day was 1 dive and day two was two dives and it was exhausting.  With all the safety exercises I had to do and my first dive of the day being two hours I was exhausted during the second dive so we had to cut it short.
When I got back I went straight to sleep for a few hours, got up for dinner and went back to bed.  I was feeling awful, my head was spinning and I felt like I was in water when I was in bed.  I was feeling a bit nauseous – didn’t help I was hungover.  I went to sleep, woke up early for classes but still was not feeling  100%, I actually felt hungover.  My head was still spinning.  I knew that I needed to feel confident when doing my dive and the fact that I am stressed out about it I wasn’t in any condition to dive today.   When you are not confident or 100% mistakes happen so we postponed my dive until tomorrow morning but I still had to write my written exam.
I studied all day by the pool and headed to the dive school for 5:30pm.  Justine and I went to a restaurant, did a review and then I wrote the exam.  90%!!!  So I am happy with that.  We talked, I had a nice pasta dinner and she reassured me about the dive tomorrow.  Plus I am going to have a dive buddy tomorrow.
So tomorrow is the big day!!! I do my dive and I am nervous and a bit stressed, but I trust Justine and the knowledge she has given me in the past few days.  My dive tomorrow also means I cancelled my flight home hahahaha.  I am just staying an extra week and will be home next weekend I promise.
Wish me luck!!!
-          My Beautiful Life -

No comments:

Post a Comment